Contractors and homeowners now have a place in Akron to recycle vinyl siding.
ABC Supply, a wholesale distributor of roofing, siding and windows, has added a bin at its building at 1320 Starlight Drive to collect old vinyl siding. The service is free.
In the six months the collection site has been in place, it has diverted 10 tons of siding from landfills, according to builder Lance Schmidt. He is one of the founders of NeoHaus, a nonprofit that supports green building and is collaborating with ABC Supply and Estes Hauling Service on the recycling effort.
• Barn sale, 8 a.m. to around 5 p.m. today, Afterwords Farm, 3947 Brush Road, Richfield. Sale of antique and vintage items.
• Homegirl barn sale, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today, 2357 Hudson-Aurora Road, Hudson. Sale of vintage furniture, repurposed goods and art. Information: www.homegirlshop.com.
• Camp CraftyMart, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. today, Musica, 51 E. Market St., Akron. Craft bazaar with a summer camp theme. Information: www.craftymart.com.
• Knitting and Crocheting Circle, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays, Highland Branch, Medina County District Library, 4160 Ridge Road, Granger Township. Learn the basics or bring projects and swap tips. Registration: 330-278-4271 or 330-239-2674.
• Knitty Gritters, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday, Lake Community Branch, Stark County District Library, 11955 Market Ave. N., Lake Township. Instructions for beginning knitters. 330-877-9975.
• Knitting and Crocheting Circle, 10 a.m. to noon Tuesday, Brunswick Branch, Medina County District Library, 3649 Center Road. Registration: 330-273-4150.
• Warm Up Akron meeting, 3 p.m. Tuesday, Danbury of Cuyahoga Falls, 1695 Queens Gate Circle. Members make afghans for needy people. Information: 330-699-3252 or http://warmupakron.webs.com.
• Meet the Pump House Chicks — Raising Livestock in the City, 6-7 p.m. Tuesday, Pump House on the Lake, Ira Avenue where it ends at Summit Lake. Talk by Elaine Evans of Let’s Grow Akron. Bring a chair. Free. Information: 330-572-8304.
• The Great Estates of Wickliffe & the Connection to “The King’s Speech,” 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Highland Branch, Medina County District Library, 4160 Ridge Road, Granger Township. Presentation by historian and storyteller Dan Ruminski. Free. Registration: www.mcdl.info or 330-278-4271.
• Needlework Circle, 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Seville Branch, Medina County District Library, North Center Street. Registration: 330-769-2852.
• Antique appraisals, 7-8 p.m. Wednesday, Stow-Munroe Falls Public Library, 3512 Darrow Road, Stow. Bring one antique to be evaluated. Free. Register at the library’s information desk or by phone at 330-688-3295, ext. 4. Spectators do not need to register.
• Outdoor Living Environments That Function Through All Seasons, noon Friday, Ohio Design Centre, 23533 Mercantile Road, Beachwood (off Chagrin Boulevard, west of Interstate 271). Presentation by David Thorn of DTR Associates in Aurora. $10. Reservations: 216-831-1245. Information: www. ohiodesigncentre.com.
• Secrest Arborteum events, June 9, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, 1680 Madison Ave., Wooster Township. Guided bird walk, 9-11 a.m., starting at Seaman Orientation Plaza. Information: 330-464-2148. Open house at the Garden of Roses of Legend and Romance, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Self-guided tours, rose-growing information, rose plant sale. Information: 330-263-3612.
• Community Kitchen Tour, 1-5 p.m. June 9, Wooster. Tour of five homes plus the kitchens of the Wayne County Historical Society’s Beall/Stibbs House. Tickets: $20, available the day of the tour at 900 and 1225 Quinby Ave., 1310 N. Bever St. and 1220 and 1179 Forest Drive. Information: 330-264-8856.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to email@example.com or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also become a fan on Facebook or follow her on Twitter @MBBreckenridge.