PENINSULA: Woodridge Middle School administrators sent students home early Thursday after a parent told them that a student, who was absent, might have had staphylococcus, a bacterial infection that can be deadly.
Principal Jesse Hosford said students at no time were in danger but were evacuated as the result of precautions taken after the school determined the student in question was absent.
“We started to do some cleaning and disinfecting of rooms that he was in, and the fumes from the cleaning agents we were using were pretty strong,” Hosford said.
Of the middle school’s 460 students, 425 went home after parents received a districtwide call followed by individual calls from school personnel.
The remaining 35 students were transferred to the high school, where they were to take a bus ride home.
Hosford said the cold weather prevented the school from asking students to step outside as personnel applied a spray disinfectant, which should ensure the school is safe for class Friday.
“That’s our plan. That’s one of the reasons for getting this remediated as soon as possible,” Hosford said.